This Keto Potato salad recipe is made with Daikon radish! It’s the closest thing that I’ve tasted to a real potato.
Daikon radish in potato salad is amazing! The daikon radish cooks nicely when boiled and it takes on the potato salad flavors nicely. It’s the perfect potato substitute for the keto or low carb lifestyle. I’m so excited! We made this keto potato salad just like we would an old loaded potato salad recipe. It has cheese, bacon, and onions!
We purchased a medium-sized daikon radish. The medium radish yielded about 4 cups of radish! These radishes are massive in size! They are super easy to cut and they really don’t take that long to boil either. You can eat this white radish either raw, cooked, or pickled. It resembles the look of a carrot without the orange part but not in size.
Before my keto lifestyle, I would have never ventured out to this type of vegetable. I test recipes like this all the time because I’m trying to make my old-time favorite recipes except without all the carbohydrates. This is one I plan to make whenever I am in the mood for potato salad!
How does Daikon radish taste?
The taste is extremely mild and crisp. I don’t like regular radishes because of the bitter, sharp taste. I love the daikon radish though! If you are wanting to spruce up your low carb lifestyle, I want to encourage you to try something new! I’m glad I did.
Do you need to peel Daikon radish?
I did peel my Daikon radish. It’s a root vegetable similar to that of a carrot but without the high carbs. You want it to look pretty in soups and potato salad so I would definitely peel it.
How is the texture of the Daikon radish?
The texture is very similar to a potato but with a bit more water. The only thing it’s missing is the starchy taste the potato has. This is why it’s the perfect substitute for keto potato salad!
Is Fresh Dill required in this recipe?
Fresh dill has a much different taste than dried dill seasoning. It does make a big difference in the taste. It would be well worth it to use fresh dill in this recipe. Fresh dill will last in the refrigerator for up to 14 days!
Keto Potato Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 4 cups Daikon radish, cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbs fresh dill
- 4 or 5 strips of bacon, precooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
Keto Potato Salad Recipe Instructions
At the bottom of this post are the full recipe instructions and printable recipe card.
This keto potato salad can be made ahead of time. Just be sure you keep it covered or in a sealed container to preserve the freshness. I usually prepare this keto potato salad the day before I plan to serve it.
Here are a few photos we took while making this keto potato salad recipe:
Keto Potato Salad Recipe
- Wash and peel the Daikon radish. Cut it into slices and then into 1-inch cubes (as seen in the keto potato salad video tutorial)
- Place the prepared Daikon radish into a large pot filled with water enough to cover the radishes.
- Bring it to a boil and let it cook 0n the stovetop for about 15 minutes. Just enough for the radishes to be nice and soft.
- Drain the radishes. Allow the radishes to sit in a colander for about 5 minutes to make sure all of the liquid is seeped out.
- Sprinkle the radishes in the colander with salt. This will help pull the moisture from the radishes while it drains.
- Pat the radishes down with a paper towel and set them aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the celery, onion, diced hard-boiled eggs, apple cider vinegar, sour cream, mayo, dill, and mustard.
- Mix the ingredients until it's fully combined and creamy.
- Add the fully drained Daikon radish and precooked bacon crumbles and mix it again until it's fully combined.
- Top with the green onion and serve cold.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy.