I am so excited that I found a replacement for my normal Buttermilk Fried Chicken! We used a special ingredient to mimic the taste of buttermilk without the carbs or the guilt! This idea sparked when we made our famous Keto Roux without using flour recipe you can find here.
Keto Buttermilk Substitute options:
I’m gonna but honest. The buttermilk replacement was the hardest. I like the thick and creaminess that real buttermilk brings. I’ve researched all sorts of buttermilk options for the keto diet and didn’t find one I was satisfied with.
These are the options I researched.
- Milk and Vinegar. Adding vinegar to milk gives it an acidity similar to that of buttermilk.
- Milk and Lemon Juice.
- Milk and Cream of Tartar.
- Lactose-Free Milk and Acid.
- Sour Cream and Water or Milk.
- Plain Yogurt and Water or Milk.
- Plain Kefir.
I tried something completely different and it gives me the thickness I want! I create a very thick roux type base using these ingredients:
- 8 Tbs butter
- 1/3 cup Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate
I melted the butter first and whisked in the protein for a perfect thick base for my buttermilk. Then I added a bit of water and heavy whipping cream to my desired thickness. Once I perfected the keto buttermilk substitute, I used it to make my keto fried chicken!
I used an air fryer, a toaster oven, the Ninja foodi on air crisper method, and the oven to test this recipe.
I have not attempted to deep fry this in oil. I’m not sure it would work that way. If I was to deep fry the chicken I would probably just use an egg mixture to dunk the chicken in and the unflavored whey protein isolate as a flour to coat the chicken. I wouldn’t do this buttermilk technique for deep-fried chicken.
Here are the recipe and techniques I used. This amount worked out perfectly for 8 chicken legs. You can double this recipe if you are making way more chicken than that.
Keto Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe
Buttermilk Sauce Ingredients
- 8 tbs butter
- 1/3 cup unflavored whey protein isolate or 1 scoop per the Isopure container
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Whisk in the unflavored whey protein isolate and mix it until this thick and creamy.
- Continue using the whisk to mix in the water and heavy whipping cream. Mix until it's well incorporated.
- Turn off the heat and set it aside. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Start to prep the chicken.
- Add the chicken to a large ziplock bag.
- Add all the seasonings to the bag and shake it until the seasonings have completely coated the chicken pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the pork panko and the remaining seasonings.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the ziplock bag and dip it in the somewhat cooled keto buttermilk mixture.
- Now dip that piece of chicken into the pork panko.
- Repeat the above sets until all the chicken has been prepped.
- Air Fryer - cook at 375 degrees for about 15 to 18 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees to be completely done.
- Toaster Oven - cook at 375 degrees for about 15 to 18 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees to be completely done.
- Ninja Foodi - use the air crispier button and set the temp to 375 degrees for about 15 to 18 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees to be completely done.
- Oven method: Place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or a sheet of aluminum foil and bake it at 375 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.