This is How to Make Bacon Wrapped Keto Scotch Eggs! First, let me tell you that these are the easiest and tastiest eggs you will ever consume! Seriously. They have quickly turned into a favorite when we first made them.
This recipe came about because I had a bag of hard boiled eggs, a tube of Italian sausage, a package of bacon, and some sugar free barbecue sauce and not one idea on what to make for dinner. I had never made Scottish eggs before. I wasn’t sure I would even like them. I really don’t like to eat hard boiled eggs by themselves and it was hard to imagine what they would taste like baked in a dish like this.
When we first tried them we actually made them on the grill. WHOA! Talk about tasting amazing! There is just something special about cooking on a grill outside. You can also make these in the oven by baking them. My favorite is the grill though. Maybe it’s because the smell of the grill brings such fond memories?!
For this recipe, you can use your any of your favorite breakfast sausage. I prefer the Italian sausage in this recipe. If you use plain sausage, I would highly suggest adding additional seasonings to it. Add any seasonings you want. The Italian sausage is seasoned perfectly if you want an easy to make no hassle sausage.
What Is A Scotch Egg?
A Scotch Egg is traditionally known as a deep fried snack. It’s an egg that includes a process of mincing the meat around the egg, This process is also known as scotching.
What Is A Scotch Egg Made Out Of?
It’s usually made out of a hard boiled egg, sausage, and deep friend in bread crumbs. However, this recipe will only show a keto friendly and low carb option for scotch eggs. We’ve found it delightful to wrap it in bacon and bbq sauce to make the perfect Keto scotch eggs!
What BBQ Sauce Did You Use?
Can Scotch Eggs Be Made In Advance?
Yes, I do this often. I make these Scotch Eggs along with other meats ahead of time and reheat them and consume them during the week. I do make them in my meal prep for the week ahead.
Can Scotch Eggs Be Reheated?
Yes! They can! I have no problems putting these in the microwave oven or toaster oven and reheating them. The toaster oven usually takes about 4 minutes and the microwave takes about 30 to 45 seconds to reheat. I usually add a bit more bbq sauce to my plate just before eating them too. It’s delicious!
How Are Scotch Eggs Served?
I usually eat them with a side salad. I will also make them for barbecue parties with other protein options too. Just the other day we made steaks, scotch eggs with a side salad as you can see in the photos below.
Are Scotch Eggs Keto?
Yes, if you make them as I show you below, then yes, they are keto! If you add a breading to them or use a bbq sauce that is not sugar free, then that’s an example of a scotch egg that would not be considered keto. It all depends on the ingredients. I keep the ingredients clean and healthy with very low sugar and very low carbs.
What To Dip Scotch Eggs In To?
Bacon Wrapped Keto Scotch Eggs
16 oz Italian Breakfast Sausage
8 hard boiled eggs
1 package bacon, thin sliced
SweetBaby Rays No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Keto Scotch Eggs
Prepare the hardboiled eggs. Peel the shells off of the eggs. You can purchase eggs in a package already made too. They come in sets of 4 or 8.
Remove the sausage from the tube.
Garb about 4 tbs of raw Italian sausage and press it around the hardboiled egg covering it completely.
Then take one strip of thin sliced bacon and wrap it around the egg covered in sausage. Set aside.
Complete this process with all eight eggs.
Grill cooking method:
Heat the grill.
Finish cooking the eggs on each side until they are brown and done. Sausage temperature must reach a temp of 160 to be done.
Right before they are done cooking, baste each egg with more bbq sauce.
Oven Baking Method:
Prepare the eggs and place them on a baking sheet with a rack.
After you place them on a rack baste them with bbq sauce covering all sides.
Bake them at 375 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the sausage temperature reaches 160 degrees using a thermometer to check it.
Here are a few photos we took while making Keto Scotch Eggs:
Here’s how we started to make them:
Bacon Wrapped Keto Scotch Eggs
- 16 oz Italian Breakfast Sausage
- 8 hard boiled eggs
- 1 package bacon thin sliced
- SweetBaby Rays No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce
- Prepare the hardboiled eggs. Peel the shells off of the eggs. You can purchase eggs in a package already made too. They come in sets of 4 or 8.
- Remove the sausage from the tube.
- Garb about 4 tbs of raw Italian sausage and press it around the hardboiled egg covering it completely.
- Then take one strip of thin sliced bacon and wrap it around the egg covered in sausage. Set aside.
- Complete this process with all eight eggs.
- Grill cooking method:
- Heat the grill.
- Place the eggs on the grill and baste with sugar free bbq sauce on all sides while it's cooking.
- Finish cooking the eggs on each side until they are brown and done. Sausage temperature must reach a temp of 160 to be done.
- Right before they are done cooking, baste each egg with more bbq sauce.
- Oven Baking Method:
- Prepare the eggs and place them on a baking sheet with a rack.
- After you place them on a rack baste them with bbq sauce covering all sides.
- Bake them at 375 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the sausage temperature reaches 160 degrees using a thermometer to check it.
- Do a final baste of bbq sauce on the eggs and cook for 5 more minutes at 400 degrees to caramelize the bbq sauce.