We just made some fantastic Sugar Free Pickled Red Onions!!
I love to add these sugar free pickled red onions as a topping on our low carb chorizo avocado tacos! Take a look! We used a low carb tortilla, guacamole, cooked beef chorizo, shredded jalapeno mozzarella cheese, cilantro, green salsa, sour cream, and crumble Queso Fresco. We also included a poached egg on this taco sometimes too! It’s loaded with flavor and the sugar free pickled red onions topped complete this taco!
How to make Sugar Free Pickled Red Onions
It’s as easy as adding all the ingredients in a sauce pan and heating it up. The hardest and most time consuming part about this recipe is cutting the red onion.
Sugar Free Pickled Red Onions Ingredients
Sugar Free Pickled Red Onions Instructions
Get the full recipe instructions in the printable recipe card below.
You can double or triple this recipe as needed.
Goes great as a topping on various salads including taco salads bowls, and tacos!
Here are a few photos we took of this process:
Here’s a trick to help your eyes not start watering while you are cutting onions. Place a moist wet dish cloth next to the onions you cut. Cut onions are attracted to moisture so instead of the fumes getting to your eyes they will hit the dish cloth first.
Sugar Free Pickled Red Onions
- Large Mason Jar
- Sause Pan
- Glass measuring cup
- Slice the red onion thin.
- Place onion a large Mason jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring apple cider vinegar, water, allulose keto friendly sweetener, and pink salt to a boil. This will dissolve the allulose and salt.
- Stir until everything is dissolved. Add in red pepper flakes, if using.
- Use a funnel or a measuring cup with a spout and pour the hot mixture over onions in the mason jar. Fill it completely until it covers all the onions.
- Let the mason jar cool to room temperature and then place lid on it and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate it for a minimum of 2 hours before using.
- These sugar free pickled red onions will keep in refrigerator for up to 1 month. (Ours never last that long!)
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy.
We made our chorizo avocado tacos too! Take a look!
Oh, btw, you can make your own Low Carb Tortilla with this recipe too: https://lowcarbinspirations.com/low-carb-tortilla-recipe-flour-tortilla-substitute/
Or you can purchase low carb tortillas at your local grocery store. They are not 100% keto but they are definitely low carb and within keto limits unless you look at the ingredients. If you are strict keto, them make my tortilla recipe.