If you want a quick treat, this Keto Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe is for you!
This recipe makes one large keto chocolate mug cake or two small ones. It all depends on the size of the container you bake it in.
We’ve even cooked this in a heart shaped silicone waffle tray. It only took 30 seconds in the microwave to cook these! It’s because they are tiny!
This recipe is not like other keto chocolate mug cakes because it’s super moist. I’ve tried so many that are really dry and crumbly. We’ve perfected the texture and taste of this mug cake!
Working with cocoa can be difficult if you don’t get the fat content just right.
Here’s another secret to the perfect tasting chocolate cake. We use a small pinch of espresso powder or instant coffee! Coffee intensifies the chocolate flavor and really brings it out!
You can even make this a double chocolate keto mug cake by adding a tablespoon of sugar free mini chocolate chips to the batter before you cook it too! It’s delish!
There are a few different mug cake toppings you can use too.
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake Topping Options:
- Sugar free whipped cream
- Unsweetened coconut powder, dusted on top
- Melted chocolate
- White chocolate chips
- Melted peanut butter or melted almond butter
- Strawberry compote or raspberry compote
- Sugar Free jam or jelly
- Sugar Free and keto friendly Ice Cream
Homemade Whipped Cream Topping:
One of my favorite ways to make sugar free sweetened whipped cream is to use this whipped cream maker. We add one 1 cup of heavy whipping cream plus our favorite sweetener to make homemade whipped cream in two seconds!
We love using Jordan’s Skinny Syrups in this recipe. We add 2 to 3 tablespoons to sweeten our whipped cream topping the way we like it.
All you do is add the liquid ingredients to the dispenser and follow the instructions to insert the whipped cream chargers and voila! Gourmet and homemade whipped cream that’s sweetened with the ingredients YOU WANT!
This recipe usually lasts me about two weeks.
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe Ingredients
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs almond flour
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tbs monkfruit, confectioners blend
- 1 tsp monkfruit, confectioners blend
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe Instructions
Get the full recipe instructions in the printable recipe card below.
We have a few different container ideas you can use for this recipe. You can also serve these on cute little cake plates for special occasions too.
Here are a few photos that show how we made this Keto Chocolate Mug Cake:
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- In a microwave safe container, melt the butter by placing it in the microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds.
- Add the egg and whip it until fluffy. Add lots of air by whipping the egg helps make a fluffy texture. Make sure not to skip this step because we didn't add baking powder to this recipe.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until it's fully incorporated and smooth.
- Spray your mug cake container with non stick cooking spray and add the batter.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your mug or container.
- I large microwave safe mug will take 60 to 110 seconds to fully cook.
- If you use a small microwave safe mug be sure to divide the batter into two equal parts and cook them separately. Cook small mugs for 60 seconds each.
- If you use the small microwave safe silicone container, these will only take 30 seconds to cook because the heart waffle is really small.
- After the cake has been fully cooked, add any toppings you want!
- Serve warm or cold.